Working out regularly has been shown to improve cardiovascular health, lower the risk of cancer, diabetes, depression and more. But, just because you work out doesn’t mean you’re getting the most from it, which means you’re not achieving the maximum results from your time in the gym. If you want to get your best workout ever, here are 10 tips that can help make your time more effective so you can get in and out of the gym quickly with better results than ever before.
1) Warm up with stretching
Before you start your workout, it’s important to warm up by stretching. Warm-up stretches get the body ready for physical activity and help prevent injury. To stretch your lower body, stand with feet together and bring one leg out to the side. Bend that leg at the knee, bringing the ankle down to the inside of your other leg’s thigh. Lean forward from your hips until you feel a comfortable stretch in that hamstring muscle on the back of your thigh. Hold for 15 seconds and repeat with other leg.
2) Never skip leg day
One of the most common mistakes people make when working out is skipping leg day. Leg day should be a priority for any serious weight-lifter, and it can’t be skipped if you want to build some serious muscle. If you’re just starting out, start with squats and go from there. They’re great for toning your lower body, and they’re an easy exercise that anyone can do at home with minimal equipment.
3) Don’t forget your core
Your core is the foundation of your body and is important for maintaining stability. If you have a weak core, it will be difficult to do just about anything. If you want to get the most out of your workouts, make sure you focus on strengthening your core muscles. Here are some ways to make that happen:
-If you don’t know what the major muscle groups are, start by doing a quick Google search or grabbing an anatomy book from your library.
4) Invest in high-quality workout gear
Investing in high-quality workout gear will help you get the most out of your workouts. Buying a pair of $200 running shoes may sound expensive, but if they last you five years and you use them for 50 miles per week, that’s only about 40 cents per mile. Plus, high-quality gear will make your workouts more comfortable and enjoyable.
5) Take care of yourself after
It’s important to take care of yourself after your workout to ensure your muscles are healthy and you’re not risking injury. A good rule of thumb is to drink a full glass of water for every pound you’ve lost during your workout, and then eat a meal that includes protein and carbohydrates.
6) Discover your fun routine
You might be surprised to hear that exercise doesn’t have to be strenuous or time-consuming in order to be effective. In fact, some of the most successful people are able to enjoy a healthy, active lifestyle because they find things that they enjoy doing and make them a priority. The key is just finding what works for you and then making it happen!
7) Try out a new class every now and then
Mixing up your workout routine is key to breaking through fitness plateaus and challenging yourself. Plus, trying out new classes can be a fun way to explore the world of fitness. A few of our favorites are cycling, Pilates, and Barre classes.
8) Enjoy some tunes while you work out
The music you listen to can really affect your workout. You might not even realize it, but the tempo and lyrics of a song can make you feel more energized or give you a boost to keep going. Think about what type of mood or feeling you want to have for your workout before picking out tunes.
9) Do what works for you
- Set your workout goals: Know what you want to achieve and how you will measure it. * Be realistic: Make sure your goals are attainable so you don’t get discouraged and give up. * Find a workout partner: It’s motivating to have someone else there with you, so find a friend or family member who wants to work out too.
10) Have fun!
- Make a playlist. Music is key to a successful workout, so take the time to make a playlist of your favorite songs!
- Warm up before you start. A few minutes of stretching or jogging can make all the difference in your workout and help prevent injury.
- Wear good shoes! Running or walking in worn-down shoes is dangerous for your feet and could cause injury.
- Drink lots of water! Hydration is important for keeping our bodies functioning at their best!