Many people want to lose weight, but they don’t know how to get started, or they lack the willpower to maintain their progress long-term. How do you motivate yourself to start losing weight? Start by taking stock of your current eating and exercise habits and recognizing areas that need improvement, then make small changes that can add up to big results. Here are the top 10 ways to motivate yourself to start losing weight!
1) Live in the moment
- Make the decision to lose weight for yourself – not for anyone else.
- Set realistic goals that you can achieve in a reasonable timeframe.
- Create a healthy lifestyle plan that you can stick to long-term.
- Find a workout buddy or accountability partner to help keep you motivated.
- Live in the moment and focus on the positive changes you’re making each day.
2) Set realistic goals
When it comes to weight loss, setting realistic goals is key. If you set a goal that’s too lofty, you’re likely to get discouraged and give up. But if you set a goal that’s achievable, you’ll be more likely to stick with it and reach your target weight.
3) Use social media to track your progress
It can be tough to stay motivated when trying to lose weight, but luckily there are a number of ways you can give yourself a boost. One great way is to track your progress on social media sites like Facebook and Instagram. These sites make it easy for friends and family members to cheer you on and offer their support as you work towards your goal. Additionally, these sites allow other people in similar situations as yours to share tips with each other which may help them in their journey.
4) Buy some new clothes!
- There’s nothing like buying some new clothes to motivate you to start losing weight. When you see yourself in a new outfit, you’ll be motivated to stay on track with your diet and exercise plan.
- Plus, when you buy new clothes, you’ll be more likely to actually wear them if they fit well and look good on you. That means you’ll be more likely to get out there and exercise in them, which is key to losing weight.
5) See how you’re progressing with a before and after photo
One way to stay motivated while losing weight is to document your progress with before and after photos. This will help you see how far you’ve come and also remind you of your goals. Plus, it’s always nice to have a physical record of your accomplishments!
6) Get out of bed earlier than normal
If you’re trying to lose weight, one of the best things you can do is get out of bed earlier than normal. This gives you more time to exercise and get your day started on the right foot. Plus, it helps to set a healthy routine that you can stick to.
7) Take advantage of daylight savings time if it applies in your area
- Get up earlier and use the extra hour of daylight to go for a walk or run.
- Schedule your workouts into your day so you can’t make excuses not to do them.
- Set small, achievable goals so you can feel good about yourself as you reach them.
- Find a workout buddy who will help keep you accountable.
- Take before and after photos to track your progress.
8) Drink lots of water
You know you should be drinking eight glasses of water a day, but sometimes it’s hard to make yourself do it. One way is to set a timer on your phone and every time the alarm goes off drink up! Make sure you’re not counting cups of coffee or tea as your water intake because they can actually dehydrate you. And if all else fails there are lots of great apps out there like TapThat that help remind you how much water you need each day.
9) Stay active even when you don’t feel like it
- Find an activity that you enjoy and can do year-round, such as walking, biking, or swimming.
- Set a goal for yourself, such as losing 20 pounds, and write it down.
- Make a plan of action by deciding what changes you need to make in your diet and exercise routine.
- Find a support group or online community to help keep you accountable and motivated.
10) Talk about your goals publicly online
It can be tough to stay motivated when trying to lose weight, but one way that can help is by talking about your goals publicly online. This can help create accountability and also help keep you focused on your goals. Additionally, sharing your progress along the way can help inspire others who may be struggling with their own weight loss journey.