Losing weight isn’t easy, but it’s even harder if you try to go about it all on your own. You might think that you can figure out exactly what you need to do yourself, but that could actually be making your weight loss journey more difficult and discouraging than it needs to be. Instead of guessing, why not get the answers straight from experts who know what they’re talking about? We’ve talked to dozens of weight loss professionals across the country, and asked them what they think are the 10 most important rules to follow if you want to lose weight successfully.
1) Focus on healthy eating
- Make sure you’re eating enough protein, which helps promote satiety and can help with weight loss.
- Eat plenty of fiber-rich foods, which can help you feel fuller longer and may help with weight loss.
- Include healthy fats in your diet, which can help with satiety and may aid in weight loss.
- Avoid sugary drinks, which can contribute to weight gain.
2) Exercise regularly
Exercising regularly is one of the most important things you can do to lose weight and keep it off. It helps to increase your metabolism, burn calories, and build muscle. Plus, it can help reduce your appetite and cravings. Aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise most days of the week.
3) Don’t skip meals
Skipping meals might seem like an easy way to cut calories, but it actually backfires. When you skip meals, you’re more likely to make unhealthy food choices later in the day and overeat. Plus, skipping meals can lead to feelings of fatigue and irritability. To lose weight successfully, make sure to eat regular meals and snacks throughout the day.
4) Eat more protein
If you want to lose weight, make sure you’re eating enough protein. Protein helps regulate hunger hormones, keeps you feeling fuller longer, and can help boost your metabolism. Aim for at least 0.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight, and if you’re trying to lose weight, get even more.
Related: Diet with Tea for Weight Loss
5) Set realistic goals
- Decide how much weight you want to lose and set a realistic goal. Losing 1-2 pounds per week is a safe and sustainable rate of weight loss.
- Find a way of eating that you can stick with long-term. fad diets are not sustainable and will only lead to yo-yo dieting.
- Incorporate physical activity into your daily routine. 30 minutes of moderate exercise most days of the week is a good goal to start with.
6) Go shopping prepared
Losing weight successfully starts with being prepared. That means going grocery shopping with a list of healthy, low-calorie foods that you will actually enjoy eating. It also means having healthy snacks on hand for when you get hungry between meals. And finally, it means being prepared mentally and emotionally to make the commitment to lose weight and stick with it.
7) Control your portions
If you want to lose weight, you need to control your portions. This means knowing how much food you should be eating and not overeating. Overeating can lead to weight gain, so it’s important to be aware of your portion sizes.
8) Consume less sugar and salt
One of the most important things you can do to lose weight is to cut down on sugar and salt. Consuming too much sugar and salt can lead to weight gain, so it’s important to be mindful of how much you’re consuming. Try to limit your sugar and salt intake by
9) Pay attention to quality, not quantity
When it comes to weight loss, you need to focus on quality over quantity. This means eating nutrient-rich foods that will fill you up and help you reach your goals. Eating processed foods or too many calories will only sabotage your efforts.
10) Enjoy the journey!
- Set a realistic goal for yourself. Losing weight too quickly can be unhealthy, and you’re more likely to gain the weight back.
- Make small changes to your diet and lifestyle. Cutting out processed foods and adding in more fruits and vegetables can make a big difference.
- Find an exercise routine that you enjoy and stick with it. If you hate running, don’t force yourself to do it every day. Instead, try swimming, biking, or another activity that you enjoy.
- Don’t get discouraged if you have a bad day or week. Everyone has setbacks, but it’s important to keep going and not give up on your goals.
- Celebrate your successes!